Cherry & strawberry pie
Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.
[MAKES 1 X 20CM PIE]
FOR THE PASTRY
250g flour, sifted
1 tbsp icing sugar
150g butter, cold, cut into cubes
¼ cup ice cold water
FOR THE FILLING
250g strawberries, hulled
and roughly chopped
2 x 400g tins black cherries, drained
3 tbsp Demerara sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1 egg white, beaten
2 tbsp granulated white sugar
Icing sugar for dusting
1. For the pastry: blitz flour and icing sugar in a processor for 30 seconds, add butter and blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Slowly add water and blitz until the mixture becomes a ball; remove, wrap in clingfilm; refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Divide pastry into 2 balls, roll one ball out onto a floured surface, then gently lift with a rolling pin and place over a 20cm pie dish. Press pastry into pie dish, cover with a piece of baking paper, top with baking beans. Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, then remove baking paper and beans and bake for an additional 7 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
3. Roll out the second pastry ball and cut the pastry into 2cm-wide strips with a knife. Place strips on a lined baking tray, cover and refrigerate.
4. In a bowl toss together the strawberries and drained cherries, spoon filling into pie base and sprinkle over Demerara and cornflour. Remove pastry strips from the fridge, place in a lattice pattern over filling, brush with egg white and sprinkle with white sugar.
5. Bake for 30 min, until cooked and golden.
6. To serve: allow to cool a little; dust with icing sugar.