Barley salad with apples, almonds & mackerel
Garnish this delicious salad with nasturtium flowers and enjoy.
220g pearl barley
2 cups vegetable stock
FOR THE DRESSING
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp honey
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper
FOR THE SALAD
3 sticks celery, chopped
400g smoked peppered mackerel,
100g pecan nuts, toasted & roughly
Sea salt & pepper
2 red apples, thinly sliced (we used Pink Lady)
Micro herbs to garnish
1. Place the pearl barley in a sieve, rinse well under running water.
2. Place barley in a medium pot, add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30–40 minutes,or until cooked and soft. Remove and set aside.
3. For the dressing: Place the garlic in a bowl, stir in honey and vinegar and whisk in olive oil; season. Pour half the dressing over the warm barley and season well,
stir to combine.
4. For the salad:Toss together the celery,mackerel and nuts, add the barley and the remaining dressing, stir well to combine.Season.
5. To serve: Serve sliced apples with the barley salad and garnish with nasturtium flowers and micro herbs.